Thomas Tuchel reveals concerning bus delay ahead of Monaco return leg

Thomas Tuchel reveals concerning bus delay ahead of Monaco return leg


Thomas Tuchel has revealed Borussia Dortmund’s team bus was held up when due to depart for Stade Louis II ahead of their unsuccessful Champions League clash with AS Monaco.

Dortmund lost the second leg of the quarter-final 3-1, 6-3 on aggregate after suffering a 3-2 defeat at home a week ago.

That match was pushed back a day after as many as three blasts struck Dortmund’s team bus on the way to the Westfalensdation.

An arrest has been made since the incident nine days ago, and an increased police presence surrounded the bus upon departure from BVB’s principality hotel.

Tuchel discussed details on Dortmund’s venture to the ground, saying concern grew as time ticked by before the bus began moving.

“The bus departure was fixed for 7:15pm, we were all there at 7:15, ready to leave,” he explained.

“There was police around the bus, which should accompany us to the stadium.

“But we didn’t start for 16 or 17 minutes. We didn’t move.

“Upon requests we were told, it was for reasons of safety.

“Of course, eight days after what happened to us in our bus, there can’t be a worse situation than that.

“Sitting again in a bus with the whole team ready to leave, but nothing happens for 17 minutes.”

Early goals from Kylian Mbappe and Radamel Falcao put Dortmund on the back foot with scarcely 15 minutes gone.

Tuchel said those early strikes stripped the Black and Yellows of belief.

“Of course, we knew we needed an extraordinary performance, in all aspects in order to change the result from the first leg. But we weren’t able to do it tonight,” he added.

“This gives you the opposite feeling to what we had ahead of the game, what we prepared for.

“Like, ‘okay, is this really now our quarter-final, is it really the evening to make it possible?’

“But you could really see that their early goal took away our belief, took away our conviction.”